struts-user mailing list archives

From José Ventura <vent...@cit.com.br>
Subject Where to put logic for "create or update" stuff?
Date Sun, 01 Jun 2003 20:54:06 GMT
I have a use case in wich a user will be created if its ID is
null, or updated otherwise.

What would be the preferrable approach?

a) My business services layer provides both createUser() and
updateUser(), and I determine wich one to call inside my
Action (by testing user.getId() ), or:

b) My business services layer provides a saveUser() method
wich will have the necessary logic inside. This way all my
Action needs to do is build a User object and pass it to
the service layer.

I like the second one better. However, I've read that Struts
actions can be considered part of the controller layer; the first
option above does treat the action as a "controller" (there's
logic in it), whereas option b) considers it to be something more
presentation-bound (almost no logic, simply converts requests
into objects).

Are there any advantages/pitfalls to these strategies?

TIA
- ventura