struts-user mailing list archives

From Aaron Longwell <listse...@newmedialogic.com>
Subject Newbie.... Best Practices for ActionForms
Date Mon, 02 Jun 2003 15:38:30 GMT
I am beginning my first Struts project with this setup:

mySQL Database
Tomcat 4
OJB (ObjectRelationalBridge)

My questions:

1) What is the best practice for the properties in an ActionForm bean?
Because HTTP sends everything from forms as strings, do I make all
properties Strings, then convert them in the Action (after validating of
course)?

2) I am using a mySQL DateTime column in the database. What is the best
practice for editing these values via Struts? Do I put a java.util.Date
proeprty in the Action form? Or do I use a String (as in Q #1) and then
do a conversion in the Action?

I am building an event manager... so the StartDate (actually
StartDateTime) and EndDate (EndDateTime) are central to this
application. I have not seen any examples of people editing DateTime or
even Date values in a struts application.

Could someone with experiece in this area give me a brief explanation of
the recommended workflow for editing dates?

Thanks,
Aaron Longwell