struts-user mailing list archives

From Aaron Longwell <listse...@newmedialogic.com>
Subject Re: [OT] MVC / Model 2 for Microsoft ???
Date Fri, 13 Jun 2003 19:39:25 GMT

Giampiero De Ciantis wrote:

>I don't think that the current ASP .NET model is too far off of the MVC
>path. Mostly I think that MVC isn't enforced, but the foundation is
>inherently there.

The enforcement is the key.... I see lots of MS Developers do sloppy
things.... because they can.

>If I had to do a mapping from struts to ASP .NET I would put things like
>this:
>
>.jsp --> .aspx
>ActionForm --> Code behind page of .aspx
>Action --> Code behind page of .aspx
>Model --> any .NET classes or Com objects that your Code behind page calls.
>
>Now, I now this isn't nearly as strict a decoupling as Struts makes, but
>(some of) the principles are still there.
>
>What can be seen as both an up-side and down-side about this is that an
>.aspx page is automatically paired with the code that can do the validation
>as well as the Actions that will be taken when you submit the form.
>Basically, everything that is declarative in Struts is programmatic in ASP
>.NET. I am sure we all have heard the pros/cons of both of those techniques.
>
>I like using ASP .NET for my personal stuff because I can roll out my code
>really quickly. But I think it would be hard to use it in an enterprise
>environment because it tends to make me write sloppy code.
>
>Struts is the opposite. Too much architecture for personal web-site stuff
>(which is becoming less of an issue as the versions roll on), but great for
>enterprise apps.

I think I differ here... when I first learned struts.... I thought... oh
cool, now I can standardize everything I do! I am a young developer, and
I have realized that proper architecture makes everything better in the
long run. The code reuse alone is reason enough for me to advocate doing
everything MVC.