struts-user mailing list archives

From "El Harouchi, Jaafar [IT]" <jaafar.elharou...@citigroup.com>
Subject RE: [OT] Application Security
Date Wed, 11 Jun 2003 13:27:30 GMT
So what problem are you trying to address:
	1) Users accessing data they are not entitled to access?
	2) Users accessing data they are entitled to access, but in an automated manner which allows
them to datamine, etc?
	3) General hacks?

#1 is what we usually deal with, storing permissions and validating them against each resource
they try to access.  There are a number of mechanisms, just search the archive for authentication
and authorization.

#2 Is more of a workflow issue and sounds like a business requirement, like enforcing a maximum
number of resources which can be accessed within a given period of time.

#3 If your app is well designed (proper authentication/entitlements, validations, separation
of layers) you should be ok.  ActionForms act as buffers and provide a layer of security.
 Make sure that users cannot access jsps directly... (I'm hoping someone else will give a
more complete answer).

-jaafar