struts-user mailing list archives

From mike.w...@honeywell.com
Subject RE: [OT] MVC / Model 2 for Microsoft ???
Date Wed, 18 Jun 2003 19:56:26 GMT
I wholeheartedly agree that pre the ASP.net ASP falls into the model 1 arena
in most cases, but it is a lot more natural to use a business object layer
in the .net rendition.  In most cases the asp .net programmer does not do
much direct editing of the .aspx file.

Mike

-----Original Message-----
From: Craig R. McClanahan [mailto:craigmcc@apache.org]
Sent: Tuesday, June 17, 2003 6:46 PM
To: Struts Users Mailing List
Subject: RE: [OT] MVC / Model 2 for Microsoft ???

On Fri, 13 Jun 2003, Giampiero De Ciantis wrote:

> Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 15:29:56 -0400
> From: Giampiero De Ciantis <gdeciant@aci.on.ca>
> Subject: RE: [OT] MVC / Model 2 for Microsoft ???
>
> I don't think that the current ASP .NET model is too far off of the MVC
> path. Mostly I think that MVC isn't enforced, but the foundation is
> inherently there.
>
> If I had to do a mapping from struts to ASP .NET I would put things like
> this:
>
> .jsp --> .aspx
> ActionForm --> Code behind page of .aspx
> Action --> Code behind page of .aspx
> Model --> any .NET classes or Com objects that your Code behind page
calls.

If you peruse some of the Microsoft-related public mailing lists, you'll
note that code-behind pages are not universally popular among Microsoft
based developers -- it seems that more than a few people like to code
things directly in their ASP pages, instead of having any separation.

In other words, it's the old "Model 1 or Model 2" debate again :-)

Craig