struts-user mailing list archives

From "Ed Yu" <e...@asg.sc.edu>
Subject RE: Why is dbcp / pool removed?
Date Tue, 10 Jun 2003 12:26:01 GMT
Actually, the recommended way is to use JNDI to accquire a data source from the container.
Most container supports it.

	-----Original Message-----
	From: Kruse, Matt [mailto:MKruse@aquent.com]
	Sent: Tue 06/10/2003 0:49
	To: 'struts-user@jakarta.apache.org '
	Subject: RE: Why is dbcp / pool removed?

	>Isn't GenericDataSource deprecated?
	>Yes, it will be removed in 1.2 but is included in
	>1.1 for backward compatibility.

	The one included is not the same as what is in RC1, though, correct? I'm
	just trying to figure out exactly what is changed and what I need to start
	experimenting with...

	> I recommend using the package distributed with either your
	> container or your database.

	If you tie your app to your coontainer, then it's not very portable, no? I
	can develop in Tomcat and publish to JRun with no problems, and I like to
	maintain that :)

	I suppose for now a good plan would be to use GenericDataSource and research
	more reliable and portable options for conn pooling in the future? Perhaps
	by then DBCP will be cleaned up and a good stand-alone alternative.

	Matt Kruse