struts-user mailing list archives

From "Nathan Anderson" <nander...@sum-ware.com>
Subject RE: Issues with Struts and IE 6 SP 1 upgrades [SOLVED]
Date Fri, 13 Jun 2003 23:23:25 GMT
We ran across a similar [if not the same] problem here.  In February we
upgraded our application server to run Apache 2.0 + Tomcat 4.1 [rather than
Apache 1.3 + Tomcat 4.0].  About a week later Microsoft released the
"February 2003 Cumulative Patch" for all versions of IE.  Any of our users
who installed that patch could not connect to SSL on our server.  In the
next few days MS released a patch for their patch that did not fix the
problem.  Since then MS has not released any further patches or information
on this matter.

We ended up having to revert to Apache 1.3 [+ Tomcat 4.1] because all
supported versions of IE could connect to Apache 1.3 with SSL.

On a side note:  The original patch that broke Apache 2.0 w/SSL, also broke
access to Hotmail and MSN webmail.  The second patch that came out a few
days later fixed the Hotmail and MSN problem but not the Apache 2 problem.
I too think that this is not coincidental, but there is not much I can do
about it...

Nathan Anderson
Sum-Ware, Inc.

-----Original Message-----
From: Viggio, Alex [mailto:Alex.Viggio@globalcrossing.com]
Sent: Friday, June 13, 2003 12:59 PM
To: 'Struts Users Mailing List'
Subject: RE: Issues with Struts and IE 6 SP 1 upgrades [SOLVED]

Turns out that this major client (w/ hundreds of users hitting our site) was
deploying a customized IE build (via IEAK tool) that was somehow
incompatible with our version of OpenSSL. We hadn't had problems with the
standard IE downloads, or with Netscape/Mozilla.

We tried upgrading our web server to a newer version of Apache and OpenSSL,
and the client can now access our Struts web app via HTTPS and their new
IEAK-generated IE 6.0 browsers. Doesn't appear to be a coincidence.

- Alex