struts-user mailing list archives

From "Andrew Hill" <andrew.david.h...@gridnode.com>
Subject RE: [OT] FRIDAY: HTML Checkboxes SUCK!!!
Date Mon, 16 Jun 2003 03:23:28 GMT
+1

Im thinking of doing the same.
Checkboxes are evil.

Another bonus to using dropdowns instead is that if you really need the user
to think about whether that field should be true or false then you can add
an extra empty choice that doesnt pass validation. That way they will be
forced to set a value in that field whereas with a checkbox they can easily
forget to tick it and submit a false value by mistake...

My theory on what the w3c specs guys were thinking tends to involve them
down the pub having a few too many beers and one of them saying "hey guys!
Ive got an idea - wouldnt it be funny if we..."

-----Original Message-----
From: Viggio, Alex [mailto:Alex.Viggio@globalcrossing.com]
Sent: Saturday, 14 June 2003 04:17
To: 'Struts Users Mailing List'
Subject: [OT] FRIDAY: HTML Checkboxes SUCK!!!

Is it just me?!? ;)

In our last release, I replaced all of the checkboxes with YES/NO dropdowns
(<select> and <options> tags using a Collection for the
"YES"=true/"NO"=false mapping).

The users seem to prefer this user interface (no one's complained at least)
and I can still tie these to a ActionForm boolean property thanks to
aforementioned Collection (via <define> tag)! We have a complex,
multi-part/layer wizard workflow using the nesting tablib extensively so the
code was begging for refactorings. This UI change allowed us to get rid of
all of the kludgy code to support these retarded HTML checkboxes (cya
ActionForm reset()).

What were you thinking W3C spec gurus!

Apologies if you momma worked on the HTML checkbox spec, but it's Friday the
13th and I'm flying to a warm, tropical beach tomorrow!!!

- Alex

p.s. I'm sure that there is a more elegant solution -- feel free to share...