struts-user mailing list archives

From "Andrew Hill" <andrew.david.h...@gridnode.com>
Subject RE: [Nested] Order of Population of nested properties
Date Mon, 02 Jun 2003 11:50:03 GMT
<snip>
If you must do your thing in the setter then you can use request.getPara...
hmm oops! no you cant. You dont have access to the request object there!
</snip>

Suppose you could save the reference to the request in a member variable
during the reset() method and refer to it in your setter, but thats
distinctly 'inelegant'. Unless your in a big hurry Id say go with doing the
stuff in the action itself.

-----Original Message-----
From: Andrew Hill [mailto:andrew.david.hill@gridnode.com]
Sent: Monday, 2 June 2003 19:42
To: Struts Users Mailing List
Subject: RE: [Nested] Order of Population of nested properties

Yeh. There is no gaurantee on the order of population. :-(

If you must do your thing in the setter then you can use request.getPara...
hmm oops! no you cant. You dont have access to the request object there!

If its not a multipart form you could do it in the reset() method and use
request.getParameter() to obtain the values you need but I wouldnt normally
recommend that (unless of course you had _already_ created the new rows and
fields on the client side using javascript DOM programming - in which case
you need to create those beans before population occurs!)

I had to do something similar in my app (simple add rows on submit (no
client side funny business)) so I put the relevant code in the Action that I
was submitting to - which simply checks if the "addMoreStuff" property was
set and adds the necessary rows before forwarding back to the view - (or
takes other action if it wasnt).