struts-user mailing list archives

From "Andrew Hill" <andrew.david.h...@gridnode.com>
Subject RE: Struts 1.1
Date Mon, 02 Jun 2003 15:07:34 GMT
<snip>
I know I'm not going to convince you of their decision, but at least our
company lets us use open source software in development.  Lots of
companies don't even have that freedom.
</snip>

Pity more companies arent like that.
I rather like the idea of potential competitors falling by the wayside
becuase they are too busy reinventing wheels(*) to stay competitive with us!
;->

<muhahahaha!/>

(* = no thats not a carrier reference!)

Actually theres been a fair bit of discussion on the failings of the current
release process over in the struts-dev list. Worth digging up the archive to
have a read.

-----Original Message-----
From: jay@toybox.uits.indiana.edu [mailto:jay@toybox.uits.indiana.edu]
Sent: Monday, 2 June 2003 22:44
To: Struts Users Mailing List; steve@ninsky.com
Subject: RE: Struts 1.1

OK, let's look at it another way.  If Struts 1.1 is ready for prime time,
why don't the authors trust it enough to release it?  If the authors don't
trust it enough to give it their stamp of approval (bugs or no bugs), why
should our company?

I know I'm not going to convince you of their decision, but at least our
company lets us use open source software in development.  Lots of
companies don't even have that freedom.  I think that using only software
that is actually released isn't a bad compromise.  It hasn't been a
problem for 95% of the code we've wanted to use.  There have only been two
exceptions: Struts and JDOM.  So, my question was, why do they think the
code isn't good enough for a release?  Now it seems that Struts 1.1 is
ready, some other component isn't ready.  If that's the case, can that
component be removed, then added in a 1.2 release?  If it's another jar,
it's extremely simple to add a jar when it's ready.

On Sun, 1 Jun 2003, Steve Raeburn wrote:

> Jay,
>
> I know it's not your fault, but I can't understand why companies insist on
> waiting for the "official" release. Like that's going to magically mean
> there are no bugs in it.
>
> If your company had written some software, say a web-application
framework,
> in-house, would they a) wait for some external source to give the software
> stamp of approval or b) use normal in-house testing procedures to verify
> that it works well enough for you to trust it in your production
> applications?
>
> Encourage the decision makers to think of it as in-house code. You still
> have to verify it works for you, but the hourly rate to your company for
the
> developers was $0. Nada. Zilch. Free. It's just a big pool of free code,
> written by some damn good programmers, that they don't have to pay for.
Try