struts-user mailing list archives

From "Andrew Hill" <andrew.david.h...@gridnode.com>
Subject RE: Newbie.... Best Practices for ActionForms
Date Mon, 02 Jun 2003 15:45:59 GMT
1.) Yes (I even do this for true/false checkboxes!)
2.) See #1.

For my dates Im using several fields (d,m,y etc...) and some javascript to
extract/concatenate into a hidden field in the format yyyy-MM-dd HH:mm:ss ,
but its pretty ugly and I dont like it much (luckily only have one place I
need to enter dates so far!). If you search around you can also find some
nice js calendar controls (and there should be some opensource tags for it
somewhere).

If you want to avoid JS, best bet might be a simple text field where the
user enters it in a certain format which you validate (storing in AF as
String). If your using the struts validator I believe it has date support -
and may even extend to some user friendly client side js support as well,
though Ive not used it so dont know how far it goes.

-----Original Message-----
From: Aaron Longwell [mailto:listservs@newmedialogic.com]
Sent: Monday, 2 June 2003 23:39
To: Struts User List
Subject: Newbie.... Best Practices for ActionForms

I am beginning my first Struts project with this setup:

mySQL Database
Tomcat 4
OJB (ObjectRelationalBridge)

My questions:

1) What is the best practice for the properties in an ActionForm bean?
Because HTTP sends everything from forms as strings, do I make all
properties Strings, then convert them in the Action (after validating of
course)?

2) I am using a mySQL DateTime column in the database. What is the best
practice for editing these values via Struts? Do I put a java.util.Date
proeprty in the Action form? Or do I use a String (as in Q #1) and then
do a conversion in the Action?

I am building an event manager... so the StartDate (actually
StartDateTime) and EndDate (EndDateTime) are central to this
application. I have not seen any examples of people editing DateTime or
even Date values in a struts application.

Could someone with experiece in this area give me a brief explanation of
the recommended workflow for editing dates?

Thanks,
Aaron Longwell