struts-user mailing list archives

From "douglas reames" <doug...@hotmail.com>
Subject access ResultList object - helper bean - downstream (ARTIMUS)
Date Tue, 10 Jun 2003 14:45:41 GMT
Morning all,
I am attempting to extend ARTIMUS to see how I might 'architect' a struts
app that gives the user output alternatives:  wap, excel spreadsheet, pdf...
  The ActionMapping (comes straight from the ARTIMUS mapping for RenderRss)
IS:

<!-- Render an article as PDF file -->
    <action
        path="/pdf/Article"
        type="org.apache.struts.scaffold.ProcessAction"
        parameter="org.apache.artimus.article.FindByArticle"
        name="articleForm"
        scope="request"
        validate="false">
       <forward
            name="success"
            path="/do/pdf/Render"/>
    </action>

    <!-- Render result as PDF file -->
    <action
        path="/pdf/Render"
        type="org.apache.artimus.struts.RenderPdfRms"/>

[1] How do I save a helper bean ( with sql query results for an article ) ,
so that it can be subsequently retrieved downstream by the RenderAction?

For those familiar with ARTIMUS, it would be most helpful if you responded
with its workflow in mind:
OUT:  ProcessAction-> ProcessBean -> AccessBase -> DataBase
IN:  AccessBase -> ProcessResult -> ProcessBean -> ProcessAction

[2] Does it matter  - architecturally OR practically -whether it is saved as
a org.apache.commons.scaffold.util.ProcessBeanBase  or
org.apache.commons.scaffold.util.ResultList ?

NOTE:  when I attempt to follow the ARTIMUS::RenderRss::executeLogic method
code - I presummed ( probably incorrectly ) that the value for
'Tokens.LIST_KEY' was being set by struts "under the hood":

ResultList result  = (ResultList) request.getAttribute(Tokens.LIST_KEY);

"result" is Null

Thank you for your time.
Regards,
Douglas Reames