struts-user mailing list archives

From "rablists" <rabli...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject common-logging, Struts, Log4j
Date Thu, 26 Jun 2003 12:50:31 GMT
Hi. I have problem in using the common-logging with struts and
Log4j. I am basically lost. I  have short questions, I appreciate if
anyone can help me little bit. these are the questions with examples:

The file outputfile.log that I specify in
log4j.appender.LOGFILE.File=outputfile.log where it is located?
where I find it? is it physical file?

I dont know why my configuration is not working, although I put the
following files in the classpath WEB-INF/classes/org/myclasses/:

commons-logging.properties:
org.apache.commons.logging.Log=org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Log4JL
ogger

log4j.properties:
log4j.rootLogger=DEBUG, rolling
log4j.appender.stdout.layout.ConversionPattern=%5p [%t] (%F:%L) - %m%
log4j.appender.rolling=org.apache.log4j.RollingFileAppender
log4j.appender.rolling.File=outputfile.log
log4j.appender.rolling.MaxFileSize=100KB
log4j.appender.rolling.MaxBackupIndex=1
log4j.appender.rolling.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
log4j.appender.rolling.layout.ConversionPattern=%d{ABSOLUTE} - %p %
c - %m%n

What else should I specify, or configure to make it to work? I have
log4j-1.2.4.jar in my WEB-INF/lib/

Should I set any system propreties? or web.xml? or struts-config?

In my classes I am doing that:
  protected static final org.apache.commons.logging.Log log =
org.apache.commons.logging.LogFactory.getLog(this.class);

    if (log.isDebugEnabled())
      log.debug("getMessage(" + locale + "," + key + ")");

(How can I enable/disable the Debug or Trace?)

Thank you in advance. I am really stuck and I couldnt make it to
work. I am using tomcat 4.18

Rabih