struts-user mailing list archives

From "Yu Baofeng" <b...@censoft.com.cn>
Subject 答复: Reusable Components
Date Fri, 11 Jul 2003 01:04:29 GMT
maybe portlet is better!

-----邮件原件-----
发件人: Craig R. McClanahan [mailto:craigmcc@apache.org]
发送时间: 2003年7月10日 7:34
收件人: Struts Users Mailing List
主题: Re: Reusable Components

On Wed, 9 Jul 2003, Adam Hardy wrote:

> Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2003 22:48:26 +0200
> From: Adam Hardy <ahardy.struts@cyberspaceroad.com>
> Subject: Re: Reusable Components
>
> JavaServer Faces sounds like Tiles, Dynamic Forms and Validator rolled

> into one - or does that miss the point?

Sort of, since JavaServer Faces doesn't directly have an analog for
Tiles or the Validator Framework (although it does support per-component
validations).

Struts does not really have any notion of a UI component that maintains
its own state, or can have child components so that you can build
complex things out of simple things.  The closest analog is an
individual property in a form bean (where Struts promises to save and
restore state for you, and the HTML tags promise to render for you.  The
JavaServer Faces approach to these sorts of issues is substantially more
powerful than what Struts offers -- the smallest difference being that
we wouldn't need form beans at all if Struts were built on top of Faces.

As I've said before, it's feasible for Struts folks to treat Faces
simply as a replacement for the HTML tags, simply to get access to the
richer rendering model and complex components, while continuing to use
Struts features (tiles, validator, actions, ...).  There's an
integration library already available that can do that for you:

  http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-struts/release/struts-faces/

The proof of concept was to take the standard struts-example.war
sources, and convert the JSP pages (one page at a time) to use Faces
tags instead, without touching the back-end actions.

However, if you start from scratch with JavaServer Faces, you can
achieve lots of the same separation between business logic and
presentation logic that we're all familiar with.  It's worth a look so
you can start thinking about if and how to integrate this kind of thing
into your own apps once it goes final (later this year).

Craig