struts-user mailing list archives

From Erez Efrati <er...@netmedia.net.il>
Subject RE: action forward to real jsps under Tiles
Date Sun, 13 Jul 2003 14:22:36 GMT
Thanks for your help Yann,

Erez

-----Original Message-----
From: news [mailto:news@main.gmane.org] On Behalf Of Yann C×™bron
Sent: Sunday, July 13, 2003 3:17 PM
To: struts-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Re: action forward to real jsps under Tiles

Erez,

> I am new to Tiles:
>
> 1) What are the downsides over writing your own?

You're talking about writing your own Tiles-like implementation ? I
guess
there's a lot of downsides to this - else everyone in here wouldn't be
using
Struts as his base framework, too - but write his own Webapp framework.
Furthermore you're free to extend Tiles to suit your needs - that's the
big
advantage of OpenSource.

> 2) While using the Tiles+Struts, is it possible to put forward an
action
> to a real JSP file rather than a Tiles definition? Would it (Tiles
> request processor) know the difference?

Quoted from the JavaDoc:

<quote>
This processor subclasses the Struts RequestProcessor in order to
intercept
calls to forward or include. When such calls are done, the Tiles
processor
checks if the specified URI is a definition name. If true, the
definition is
retrieved and included. If false, the original URI is included or a
forward
is performed.
</quote>

If you're interested in a very detailed description of the inner
workings
and features of Tiles I strongly suggest you to read this PDF written by
the
author of Tiles:

http://www.lifl.fr/~dumoulin/tiles/tilesAdvancedFeatures.pdf

HTH,