struts-user mailing list archives

From "Jing Zhou" <j...@netspread.com>
Subject Re: question about ActionErrors
Date Sun, 13 Jul 2003 02:06:29 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Yan Zhu" <yan.zhu@ipacc.com>
Sent: Saturday, July 12, 2003 9:10 AM
Subject: Re: question about ActionErrors

> I might be wrong about this, but doesn't this still force it to look for
files
> in app's classpath, such as in directories like WEB-INF/classes or /lib ?
>
> I need to load the property file from WEB-INF/conf/myapp.message,
> how would I do that?

You might have to create a custom version of PropertyMessageResources.
In the class, you use ServletContext.getResourceAsStream to obtain a
input stream with a context relative path and then use it to initialize the
properties.

Before you go down that path, evaluate the benefits of the current
PropertyMessageResources. It allows you to group message resources
into different packages. It is easy to tell, say a message format like

key34= Input {0} is invalid

is specified for which classe and in which package. This is very useful when
your project get larger. Of course, there are other better organization
structures. Some people think storing message resources in database
is a good way. I am interested in that direction for larger projects.

> thanks
>
> yan

Jing
Netspread Carrier