struts-user mailing list archives

From "David Benoff" <dben...@covad.net>
Subject Possible to dynamically set value of an <html:select> element?
Date Sun, 27 Jul 2003 07:46:00 GMT
Pardon the newbie-ness but I’ve searched the archives extensively and
haven’t turned up anything on this.  Any hints would be much
appreciated.

I’d like to know whether there is any way to dynamically set the
property attribute within an html:select element.
The page I’m working on iterates through a collection of User beans,
each of which has its own collection of Role beans.  Each user is
displayed on a row with a dropdown that is populated with that user’s
collection of roles.  The user needs to select a single Role for each
user displayed, and I’d like to get the form returned as a HashMap with
the username as the key and the rolename as the value.

The relevant snippet is below:

<logic:iterate id="user" name="userlist">

<bean:write name="user" property="username"/>

</logic:iterate>

My problem, of course, is that since property="rolemap(username)” isn’t
dynamic, the key gets stored verbosely as “username”, which overwrites
the value on each iteration, so the map always gets returned with a
single value.

My guess is there’s a straightforward way to do this, but I’ll be darned
if I can find it.  I’d very much appreciate it if someone could point me
in the right direction.

Thanks,
David Benoff

---