struts-user mailing list archives

From "Brian McSweeney" <brian.mcswee...@aurium.net>
Subject Dependent select boxes
Date Tue, 22 Jul 2003 10:45:05 GMT
Hi all,

I have an application that uses dependent select boxes,
ie, by picking one item in a select box, then the contents
of the next one will be decided.

This is used as a way to navigate a tree structure. I know
that this is a common way of representing this structure
type.

The problem is: currently for every onChange in the select
box, I go back to the server to populate the contents of the
next select box.

Now I know this is bad. I have the entire tree in memory, but
I'm really weak on javascript. I want to move to a javascript
solution where I populate javascript arrays and the whole tree
can be navigated without going back to the server.

Can someone please give me a hand/advice?

First off, how do I populate javascript variables from bean variables.

Thanks,
Brian