struts-user mailing list archives

From "Jan Zimmek" <jzim...@morelogs.de>
Subject [OT] Clustering / Session Replication
Date Wed, 16 Jul 2003 08:10:49 GMT
Hi,

I read an article about clustering in tomcat on theserverside.com, but have some questions
about it.

There is a statement to use "In-Memory"-Replication in favour of "Database/Filesystem"-Replication
to avoid problems like (speed, external dependencies, ...).

Most of our projects make use of gui-components like trees, pager and pagecontrols, whose
state are stored in the HttpSession-Object. Depending on the project, the amount of used memory
for these objects can be really huge ( in a equivalent php version, a serialized session can
be up to 1mb ).

Would this means, is that 200 concurrent HttpSessions ( each one ~ 1mb ) would be replicated
to each Tomcat-Server in my cluster and therefore each server requires ~ 200mb RAM to hold
all concurrent HttpSession-Objects when using "In-Memory"-Replication ?

Are there any mechanisms to share those huge HttpSessions over several servers without the
needed RAM of ~200mb per server ?

Any comment would be really appreciated.

regards,
Jan Zimmek