struts-user mailing list archives

From "Jing Zhou" <j...@netspread.com>
Subject Re: Why not to use Action chaining ?
Date Tue, 22 Jul 2003 14:29:50 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Siva" <sivakumarv@india.adventnet.com>
Sent: Tuesday, July 22, 2003 5:14 AM
Subject: Re: Why not to use Action chaining ?

> Thanks Alen,
>
> Ted Husted (Struts in Action) says that the action chaining in the dark
side
> of Struts.
>
> The problem he mentioned is that
>
> "when the second action is being invoked, the form is being 'repopulated'
> with the initial form values that the form had when it was passed to the
> first action "
>
> Since I am new to struts, I am not able to grasp it clearly. You can find
the
> info related to this in Struts FAQ. I am just wondering what is the
alternate
> solution.

There are two alternatives to my knowledge:

1) Refactoring Design:
    Put common functions into a separate class and then
    call the common functions from your action classes if you need.

2) Controller Delegation Model:
    In one action class, you could find another action instance the
    same way as the RequestProcessor find it and then call the
    execute method on the action instance.

The second way is very suitable for tools when designers could
organize their actions without any overlap functions. The performance
gain is apparent: no repopulated, no revalidated form beans.

> Thanks again,
> siva

Jing
Netspread Carrier