struts-user mailing list archives

From "Joe Zendle" <joe.zen...@vericept.com>
Subject RE: Using JSTL tags instead of Struts tags
Date Thu, 10 Jul 2003 19:39:55 GMT
Yes, if every datasource in the universe is a set of tables in which the
schema never changes ;-)

-----Original Message-----
From: David Geary [mailto:sabreware@earthlink.net]
Sent: Thursday, July 10, 2003 1:11 PM
To: Struts Users Mailing List
Subject: Re: Using JSTL tags instead of Struts tags

On Thursday, Jul 10, 2003, at 12:34 America/Denver, Yuan, Saul (TOR-ML)
wrote:

>>> I started using JSTL but found that it encouraged site builders to
>>> start embedding logic in JSP's.
>>
>> I'd sure be interested in some examples of this.  JSTL doesn't really
>> provide anything more than what you could do yourself with scriptlets
> and
>> runtime expressions -- indeed, it's a lot LESS than what you could do
> with
>> those things, in addition to doing it much more succinctly.
>
> JSTL does have a few tags that deal with the backend, say the query
> tag:
> <sql:query ..., with this you can pull data directly in a Jsp page
> without going through a controller layer. But this doesn't necessarily
> mean JSTL encourage you to do it this way.

JSTL's SQL tags are unfairly maligned, IMO. If you stay away from
<sql:update> and <sql:transaction>, which clearly break MVC protocol*,
your views can pull data from the model and display it (which is what
views are supposed to do) with <sql:query> and the param tags.

david

*because the views are modifying the model (database)