struts-user mailing list archives

From David Graham <grahamdavid1...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: [OT] Use of Static Methods
Date Wed, 09 Jul 2003 16:21:52 GMT

> One of my programmers asked me whether or not it is OK to define helper
> methods as 'static' - and I realized that I didn't know the answer.  So
> guess the question is, in a web application, can common code be factored
> out
> to a helper class and marked as 'static'?

Static methods are evil for many reasons including philosophical (they're
not OO) and practical (you can't override their behavior).  You should use
a Singleton class with non-static methods.

Struts' RequestUtils class is a good example of why you should never use
static methods.  Developers want to override their behavior but can't
because everything is static.

David