struts-user mailing list archives

From David Graham <grahamdavid1...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: what the webwork guys say about struts
Date Wed, 16 Jul 2003 13:44:29 GMT
--- Andrew Hill <andrew.david.hill@gridnode.com> wrote:
> <snip src="wiki.opensymphony.com">
> WebWork’s pros include being a smaller, simpler framework, not having to
> build ActionForm beans,

DynaActionForms anyone?

> making it very simple to test your Actions,
> having
> multiple well-supported view technologies, simpler views with less JSP
> tags
> and a more powerful expression language,

Who cares?  IMO, JSTL has the best Java expression language and
implementing anything further in a non-standard framework is a waste of
time.

> not having to make your Actions
> thread-safe,

You can override one method in the RequestProcessor to create a new Action
on each request so they don't have to be thread safe.

> not having your Actions tied to the web

Struts 2 is likely to be uncoupled from the Servlet API to allow use in
Portals but we'll see...

The only advantage I see in WebWork is that Actions and ActionForms are
one idea/class but JSF allows this as well.

I don't know enough about WebWork to critique it but it's disappointing
when people get the facts wrong about Struts when comparing the two.

David