struts-user mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Struts and JSTL - Basic Questions
Date Fri, 18 Jul 2003 00:06:49 GMT

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003, Mike Duffy wrote:

> Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 13:18:52 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Mike Duffy <mduffy_lists@yahoo.com>
> To: struts-user@jakarta.apache.org
> Subject: Struts and JSTL - Basic Questions
>
> I am just starting to explore JSTL.
>
> I can see how JSTL will replace the Struts logic tags, but what about
> the Struts html tags?

The HTML tags are in the space that JavaServer Faces is aiming at:

  http://java.sun.com/j2ee/javaserverfaces/

and there is a Struts integration library available for it:

  http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-struts/release/struts-faces/

> Will Struts html tags be used along with JSTL?

Yes, although you will probably want to use the html-el version of these
tags, because you can use the same EL syntax for the Struts tags and the
JSTL tags.

> A map can be used with JSTL to create the select options for a drop
> down list.  Will the select tag itself reamin an html:select tag
> (will we mix both Struts and JSTL tags)?

You certainly can if that is the simplest approach.

> Finally, can the latest version of JSTL be used with the latest
> version of Struts?

Yes, as long as you're running on a container that supports the latest
version of JSTL.

JSTL 1.0 requires a servlet 2.3/JSP 1.2 container (Tomcat 4.x or later)

JSTL 1.1 requires a servlet 2.4/JSP 2.0 container (Tomcat 5.0 or later)

> Does any know of an article or book that provides guidance on, "Using
> JSTL with Struts."

In the "contrib/struts-el" directory you'll find a README.txt file that
has enough info to get you started, plus you can run the
"strutsel-exercise-tablib.war" webapp and examine a bunch of examples.

> Thanks.
>
> Mike

Craig