struts-user mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [OT] Is "jsessionid" specific to Tomcat or generic to all web containers?
Date Mon, 28 Jul 2003 15:40:52 GMT

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003, David Graham wrote:

> Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 06:37:49 -0700 (PDT)
> From: David Graham <grahamdavid1980@yahoo.com>
> Subject: Re: [OT] Is "jsessionid" specific to Tomcat or generic to all
>     web containers?
>
> The JSESSIONID cookie is standard but a more interesting question is
> whether the url rewriting format is standardized?  I haven't been able to
> confirm that http://blah.com;jsessionid=42789?qry=test&qry2=test2 is
> standard.

The URL rewriting format is also standardized; in section 7.1.3 you will
see the sentence:

  The session id must be encoded as a path parameter in the URL string.

A "path parameter" is defined in the RFCs that define the formats of URLs.
Among other things, that means it is separated by a semicolon (";")
instead of a question mark or ampersand, and that path parameters come
first.

> David

Craig