struts-user mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject RE: [OT] Is "jsessionid" specific to Tomcat or generic to all web containers?
Date Tue, 29 Jul 2003 17:21:54 GMT

On Tue, 29 Jul 2003, Yansheng Lin wrote:

> Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 10:48:02 -0600
> From: Yansheng Lin <yansheng.lin@isogis.com>
> Subject: RE: [OT] Is "jsessionid" specific to Tomcat or generic to all
>     web containers?
>
> Isn't that for URL rewritting only?

Yes, the "path parameter" stuff is for URL rewriting only.

> When you use a session through cookie, I think you can name it anything you
> want.

No ... you really might want to read the spec before making assumptions
like this.  It is specific on the name of the session id cookie
(JSESSIONID) as well, in Section 7.1.1.

  http://java.sun.com/products/servlet/download.html

The entire section on how sessions work in a standard servlet container is
only five pages, plus the Javadocs on the HttpSession class :-).

Craig