struts-user mailing list archives

From Jagannayakam <jagannaya...@aztec.soft.net>
Subject RE: Struts-bean.tld
Date Fri, 04 Jul 2003 10:52:16 GMT
Thanks Steve .

In case of  In JSP 1.2 / Servlet API 2.3 can u tell me the exact location of
the Meta-inf directory and which jar file.

Thanks,
Jagan.

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Raeburn [mailto:steve@ninsky.com]
Sent: Friday, July 04, 2003 4:03 PM
To: Struts Users Mailing List
Subject: RE: Struts-bean.tld

The URI in the JSP doesn't *directly* tell the JSP where to find the tld.
It's just a reference used to look up the actual location in web.xml. Often
the URI is the same as the path to the tld but it doesn't have to be.

In JSP 1.1 / Servlet API 2.2 you had to configure tag libraries in the
web.xml file

  <taglib>
    <taglib-uri>/WEB-INF/struts-bean.tld</taglib-uri>
    <taglib-location>/WEB-INF/struts-bean.tld</taglib-location>
  </taglib>

and then use the <taglib-uri> value in a JSP to enable it to lookup the
taglib descriptor (.tld) location

  <%@ taglib uri="/WEB-INF/struts-bean" prefix="bean" %>

finally, the name of the actual tag class is found in the taglib descriptor
(.tld) file

  <name>write</name>
  <tagclass>org.apache.struts.taglib.bean.WriteTag</tagclass>

In JSP 1.2 / Servlet API 2.3, life gets a little easier. You no longer have
to configure tag libraries in web.xml *or* have the .tld files in your
WEB-INF directory.

The servlet container can find tlds in a tag library jar file if the they
are placed in a META-INF/tlds directory (within the jar). To use the taglib
all you have to do is reference the taglib URI in your jsp and make sure the
taglib jar is on your classpath.

  <%@ taglib uri="http://jakarta.apache.org/struts/tags-bean" prefix="bean"
%>

Again, although the URI looks like it points to a website it is just a
string that matches the on in the tld and uniquely identfies the tag
library.

Probably more information than you needed ;-)

Steve