struts-user mailing list archives

From Adam Hardy <ahardy.str...@cyberspaceroad.com>
Subject Re: where does a form element get and put it's data
Date Tue, 01 Jul 2003 11:20:36 GMT
Surely you have the same issue with selecting the correct option in the
select box as you do with the radio buttons?

If I understand correctly what you are saying, you are actually talking
about 2 seperate datasets: the dataset that you are going to edit in the
form, and the dataset that you use to populate radio buttons or select
boxes.

In the average application I write, the datasets for dropdowns etc
rarely gets edited, so I retrieve it from the database and keep it,
normally as a list of beans, in APPLICATION_SCOPE, and I keep the
editable data in the request or the session. But to get the editable
data into an HTML form, I always have to call it up first (your step 2)
and put it into the ActionForm. How else are you going to get it into
the textboxes, checkboxes, selectboxes etc?

If I want to keep my editable data around server-side for some reason, I
keep the form in the session, but normally I don't, so I keep my forms
in my request. Normally too I only ever edit one bean of data at a time.
I have done editable lists of many beans using the nested-beans plug-in too.

Hope I understood you correctly and haven't been waffling on beside the
point.

Adam