struts-user mailing list archives

From Ted Husted <hus...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [OT] - Lucene Intergration with Struts/Struts Jobs
Date Fri, 04 Jul 2003 12:40:44 GMT
Pat Quinn wrote:
> Hey guys, I know its not really a struts question but is anyone out
> there using Jakarta Lucene with struts. I've started looking into it to
> enable full text searching of product catalogues rather than screwing
> around with SQL Like statements.

If you are using a facade or DAO, it's very easy to use either JDBC or
Lucene as needed. All the application does is call the facade or DAO,
what it does behind the scenes is out of sight.

Struts should not be aware what data access method is being used. The
same business logic calls should be made regardless of whether you are
using  JDBC, Hibernate, Lucene, all three, or a Mock implementation for
testing.

But, yes, many of us who use Struts have been using Lucene for years,
even before it was brought to Apache. I used in examples in Professional
Site Design and again in Struts in Action. (And continue to use it with
current projects.)

-Ted.

--
Ted Husted,