struts-user mailing list archives

From Aaron Longwell <listse...@newmedialogic.com>
Subject Please Help: ActionForm Re-Population
Date Mon, 14 Jul 2003 15:00:53 GMT
I am on the last leg of a web application, and I've run into problems
adding validation to the mix.

I have an "edit" Action that retrieves a database record, a list of
drop-down options, and then populates the "editor" ActionForm. Works
great, and I LOVE STRUTS!

Now I've implemented validation (through the Validator Framework, but I
think my problem is with validate() in general).

After the user clicks submit, their post is sent to my "update" action.

If they do not break any validation rules, all goes well. The problem
occurs when a validation rule is broken.... They are returned to the
form... but the drop-downs (which are populated in the "edit" Action)
are empty. I have set breakpoints in the code... and I see that the page
neither my "edit" Action code (the part where the drop-down data is
retrieved), nor my "update" Action code is actually running.

Question.... between pressing submit and returning the "edit" JSP with a
populated ActionErrors object. Where is "validate()" actually called?
Where can I insert code to populate a drop-down with a set of values so
that it will appear both when the form is presented the first time, and
after a validation error?

Thank you for your help,
Aaron Longwell