struts-user mailing list archives

From Aaron Longwell <listse...@newmedialogic.com>
Subject Re: Please Help: ActionForm Re-Population
Date Mon, 14 Jul 2003 17:25:58 GMT
Oops, spoke too soon.

You discussed 2 options:

1) All drop-down list data goes into session
2) "input" attribute for the update event goes back to "edit" Action
instead of "edit" JSP

I went with #2 and that brings up a new issue. Doing that causes all of
the current values for the fields to be lost (i.e. the user inputs a bad
number format in a field.... they click submit and receive the JSP with
a list of errors at the top) Because the process went through the "edit"
action again, the Action re-queried the database and updated the
ActionForm with database values, overwriting all the user's values
(including ones that were correctly edited and contained no errors).

To avoid this I have to insert code in the "edit" Action to check for a
populated ActionForm before querying the database. This feels a little
messy.

Of course I could use the session solution (#1), but I like to avoid
using sessions unless absolutely necessary. In addition, these drop
downs could have 100's of items in them, I'd like to keep big chunks of
data like that in the request.

So the alternative, I guess, is to have another action that NEVER
queries the database, but just prepares a blank form. I actually already
have one of these... it's my "create" action.

This appears to be the best practice in this situation.... anyone else
have any feedback?

Thanks again,
Aaron