struts-user mailing list archives

From Aaron Longwell <listse...@newmedialogic.com>
Subject Re: Action Under a Tile?
Date Sun, 20 Jul 2003 04:48:54 GMT
Cal,

Thank you for your in-depth reply... I have a few questions about the
implementation. You are referring to a TilesAction. Is this an extension
of the Struts Action class. Does your /do/portalWhatsNew Action extend
TilesAction?

Secondly, the do/portalWhatsNew and the PortalWhatsNew.jsp are a
self-contained entity? By this, I mean if I put /do/portalWhatsNew in my
Address Bar, I would receive the <td>content</td> from the
PortalWhatsNew.jsp, where the content comes from business logic which
occurred in the portalWhatsNew Action?

What I'm gathering is that the real trick here is the controllerUrl
attribute on the definition. My previous attempts looked similar to what
you are doing below, but I was putting my Struts Action url in the path
(or page, something like that) attribute. I am not familiar with the
controllerUrl attribute. Can you explain that as well.

 From the context of your post, I think you've got the exact solution
I'm looking for (a "What's New" page is very similar to the
"At-a-Glance" concept I need to implement).

Essentially, it's a piece of common but dynamic content that appears on
every page. The problem is that with struts alone, the data retrieval
process for the common content would need to be added to each individual
action (via inheritance most likely). I am considering an alternative to
extend all my Actions from BaseAction and put some code to add data to
the request before giving the actual Action control.... thus adding the
data to every action.... then I just need to do an include or tile to
present that data.

Do you use the below "Action under a tile" in production? Do you prefer
your solution to the one I've suggested as an alternative for my problem?

Once again, thanks for your time.

Aaron Longwell

Holman, Cal wrote:

>Have you tried using a TilesAction?  Using an action tied to a definition allow for the
building of independent jsps - they not only have the html but they have an action attached
to them that can load any beans necessary for rendering.  You can then drop into any definition
or template a self contained tile.

>  <definition 	name="portal.whatsnew.pagedef"
>  				controllerUrl="/do/portalWhatsNew"
>  	path="/web/pages/portal/PortalWhatsNew.jsp"/>
>
>This page definition will call the /do/portalWhatsNew action - loading a bean with the
news items then insert the PortalWhstsNew.jsp that uses the bean from the tiles action to
populate a list of what's new items.  This way you can use the definition as an attribute
in any other definitions and not worry about the action rendering the 'real' page loading
the what's new items - the definition is a self defining jsp - action and jsp together.  If
you then wrap something like the OSCache around this definition in the master jsp template
you only have to create the jsp the first time.

>  <definition name="home.pagedef" 	extends="layouts.pagedef" >
>	  <put name="title"  					value="home.title" />
>	  <put name="header" 				value="/web/includes/header.jsp" />
>	  <put name="index"   				value="/web/pages/home/HomeIndex.jsp" />
>	  <put name="indexMain"   		value="/web/includes/index.jsp" />
>	  <put name="content"   			value="/web/pages/home/HomeContent.jsp" />
>	  <put name="footer" 				value="/web/includes/footer.jsp" />
>    	  <put name="styleSheet" 			value="web/styles/Grey_StyleSheet.css" />
>    	  <put name="keywords" 			value="home.keywords"/>
>    	  <put name="crumbs" 				value="/web/includes/crumb.jsp"/>
>	  <put name="crumbtitle1" 			value="Home"/>
>	  <put name="crumblink1" 			value="/home/home"/>
>	  <put name="pagename"			value="home"/>
>	   <put name="defname"			value="home.pagedef"/>
>
>	  <put name="rightIndex" value="portal.whatsnew.pagedef"/>
>  </definition>
>
>And in the template jsp:

>               <oscache:cache key="portal">
>               <!-- **********Begin Right Navigation ********** -->
>                  <tiles:insert attribute="rightIndex" flush="false"/>
>               <!-- **********End Right Navigation ********** -->
>               </oscache:cache>
>

>Cal

and confidential information intended only for the use of the recipient(s) named above.  If
you are not the intended recipient, you may not print, distribute, or copy this message or
any attachments.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender
by return e-mail and delete this message and any attachments from your computer.