struts-user mailing list archives

From Imran Bohoran <Im...@virtusa.com>
Subject RE: Design in Struts
Date Mon, 28 Jul 2003 06:34:51 GMT
Well I think how you organize your action classes depends on the complexity
of your screens. Once we had some of our Action classes grouped depending on
the modules. The screens didn't have too many actions associated and the way
the team was structured it made sense to break the Action classes depending
on the modules.
But in another one where lot were working on the same module and were
concentrating on different screens we went with an Action class per page
approach. This made sense with the way the team was organized and also since
the number of actions that took place in each screen was more.
However in such case if you have one action class per page and that class
has different methods associated to loading, submitting, deleting or what
ever action, IMHO I think it would make things a bit clear and organized.

any thoughts??

-----Original Message-----
From: Puneet Agarwal [mailto:puneeta@delhi.tcs.co.in]
Sent: Monday, July 28, 2003 12:28 PM
To: Struts Users Mailing List
Subject: Re: Design in Struts

Raj,
As per the best practice observation, it has always been suggested by
people to have two actions associated with all your screens( considering
one form per screen) . First one to load the page, and the other to process
it.

But in case like ours we could have ended up with too many actions. So we
created one action class that is invoked for preloading excersise of all
screens.
So for all our screens we have a common action class that is invoked to
launch the screen and this action class forwards the request to approprite
page. Adn then we have one action class associated with every screen.
(mostly)

Hope it answeres your q.

Regards,
Puneet Agarwal

Tata Consultancy Services,
C-56, Phase - II, NOIDA 201305 (India)
Phone: +91-120-2461001, 2, 7, 8, 9, 12, 13 (Ext. 1031)
FAX              : +91-120-246 1521

Struts ... Action ... Struts in Action ... Action in Struts ...

                    rajendra.x.yadav@v

                    erizon.com                To:
struts-user@jakarta.apache.org
                                              cc:

                    03/18/02 09:15 AM         Subject:     Design in Struts

                    Please respond to

                    "Struts Users

                    Mailing List"

Hi All,
I need some guidance about the design prespective of a Web Application
using Struts.

Is it advisable to have a Action with each Form?
If not, then How to have a single action for all your forms and do some
sort of redirection internally ?

thanks
-raj