struts-user mailing list archives

From Jens v.P. <develo...@jevopi.de>
Subject Re: Why not to use Action chaining ?
Date Tue, 22 Jul 2003 14:26:10 GMT
Hello,

> Could anyone of you tell me why we ahuld not use Action chaining in
> struts framework ?

I'm a Struts newbie, so maybe my answer ends up in a new question. But
as far as I understand the action pattern (question 1: Are Struts
actions commands as described in the GOF book). And as far as I
understand this pattern, an action (or command) capsulates an action in
an object. An action or command has no state (question 2: as far as I
understand this pattern... maybe I'm wrong).

So - why do you want to chain actions? Maybe because one action
"extends" another action, like one use case can extend another use
case. In this case, somewhere a state must exists, because otherwise
one action "includes" the other action. But a state must have no
influence to an action.
If you have two actions with no other dependency but that the user can
trigger them - so why do you need to chain them?

> I neet to do two different actions for a user action. how can i
> wachieve
> it without action chaining?

Maybe you can explain, why you need two different actions and why you
think you have to chain them.

Jens