struts-user mailing list archives

From "NYIMI Jose (BMB)" <Jose.NY...@proximus.net>
Subject RE: [OT] Use of Static Methods
Date Wed, 09 Jul 2003 19:27:30 GMT
Just to clarify, Perl is not a procedural language !!!
You can implement any OO features (abstraction,inheritance,polymorphisme etc ...) with Perl
http://www.manning.com/Conway/index.html
http://www.manning.com/getpage.html?project=conway&filename=Chapters.html
http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2003/06/13/design1.html

José.

-----Original Message-----
From: David Graham [mailto:grahamdavid1980@yahoo.com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 09, 2003 9:06 PM
To: Struts Users Mailing List
Subject: RE: [OT] Use of Static Methods

--- "Paananen, Tero" <Tero.Paananen@GTECH.COM> wrote:
> > OO programs should be made up of objects passing
> > messages to other objects, not calling global functions.
>
> I would argue a Singleton is no better in this respect.
>
> The fact that they're instantiated into an object,
> don't make Singletons any less "global" than static
> methods.

They are instantiated into objects which means you can change the specific type, method implementations,
etc. without the app knowing instead of calling a global function.  If I wanted to do procedural
programming I'd be using Perl, not Java.

David

> 	-TPP - I trim my responses, it saves bits

> This email may contain confidential and privileged material for the
> sole use of the intended recipient(s). Any review, use, retention,
> distribution or disclosure by others is strictly prohibited. If you
> are not the intended recipient (or authorized to receive for the
> recipient), please contact the sender by reply email and delete all
> copies of this message.  Also, email is susceptible to data
> corruption, interception, tampering, unauthorized amendment and
> viruses. We only send and receive emails on the basis that we are not
> liable for any such corruption, interception, tampering, amendment or
> viruses or any consequence thereof.

**** DISCLAIMER ****

"This e-mail and any attachment thereto may contain information which is confidential and/or
protected by intellectual property rights and are intended for the sole use of the recipient(s)
named above.
Any use of the information contained herein (including, but not limited to, total or partial
reproduction, communication or distribution in any form) by other persons than the designated
recipient(s) is prohibited.
If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender either by telephone or
by e-mail and delete the material from any computer".

Thank you for your cooperation.

For further information about Proximus mobile phone services please see our website at http://www.proximus.be
or refer to any Proximus agent.