struts-user mailing list archives

From Paul McCulloch <paul.mccull...@axiossystems.com>
Subject RE: about dependent lists
Date Wed, 23 Jul 2003 13:30:19 GMT
In the past (asp) I have done this within in a single server response. I
built client-side javascript arrays of options for each option in the first
list, and populated the second list from the appropriate array.

Obviously this is only going to work for some data sets - at some point the
user experience is going to suffer due to the time it takes to download the
initial page & for the JS interpreter to populate all the arrays.

Paul

-----Original Message-----
From: Edgar Dollin [mailto:Edgar@BLUE-MOOSE.NET]
Sent: 23 July 2003 11:42
To: 'Struts Users Mailing List'
Subject: RE: about dependent lists

This idea works nicely but remember if you have pages of any size the user
experience will suffer.  As an example Bugzilla does it using dynamic
javascript and it still has annoying pauses, a page load would be worse.

Also, you should have an additionaly piece of javascript to put the cursor
back where it was when the page was submitted.

Edgar

**************************************
Axios Email Confidentiality Footer
Privileged/Confidential Information may be contained in this message. If you are not the addressee
indicated in this message (or responsible for delivery of the message to such person), you
may not copy or deliver this message to anyone. In such case, you should destroy this message,
and notify us immediately. If you or your employer does not consent to Internet email messages
of this kind, please advise us immediately. Opinions, conclusions and other information expressed
in this message are not given or endorsed by my Company or employer unless otherwise indicated
by an authorised representative independent of this message.
WARNING:
While Axios Systems Ltd takes steps to prevent computer viruses from being transmitted via
electronic mail attachments we cannot guarantee that attachments do not contain computer virus
code.  You are therefore strongly advised to undertake anti virus checks prior to accessing
the attachment to this electronic mail.  Axios Systems Ltd grants no warranties regarding
performance use or quality of any attachment and undertakes no liability for loss or damage
howsoever caused.