struts-user mailing list archives

From "Nate Bowler" <bow...@attask.com>
Subject ActionForm mapped property submit/populate error
Date Mon, 07 Jul 2003 16:01:17 GMT
I'm sure this is a common question for Struts newcomers dealing with
mapped and indexed properties, but I can't find a good solution.

To sum it up quickly, I can read values from an ActionForm with the
following syntax in a JSP tag "rows(1).val", but when I submit, I
get the following exception. Ideas?:

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: No bean specified
	at
org.apache.commons.beanutils.PropertyUtils.getPropertyDescriptor
(PropertyUtils.java:837)
	at org.apache.commons.beanutils.BeanUtils.setProperty
(BeanUtils.java:934)
	at org.apache.commons.beanutils.BeanUtils.populate
(BeanUtils.java:808)

Here are more details:

I've got an ActionForm subclass with the following methods:

public Map getMap();
public void setMap(Map map);

public MyRow getRows(String idx);
public void setRows(String idx, MyRow val);

I prepopulate the form in an "open" action and everything displays
beautifully. However, when I submit, the bean is "lost" and

BeanUtils can't seem to "repopulate" it.

What am I missing here?

- The reset() method is implemented and it reinitializes everything.
- It is a request scope form.

What is the "best practice" for this type of use case?

Nate