struts-user mailing list archives

From "Andrew Hill" <andrew.david.h...@gridnode.com>
Subject RE: [OT] Use of Static Methods
Date Thu, 10 Jul 2003 02:52:53 GMT
Put them as methods of a Singleton instance instead of static methods.
(Ive been using lots of static methods so the fact Im telling you to do it
differently to that should indicate something ;->)

-Especially when other people have to use these methods too. The number of
times Ive cursed classes like PropertyUtils and BeanUtils for being statics
and not singletons because I want to use a slightly different version in
some places...

-----Original Message-----
From: Jerry Jalenak [mailto:Jerry.Jalenak@LABONE.com]
Sent: Wednesday, 9 July 2003 23:29
To: 'struts-user@jakarta.apache.org'
Subject: [OT] Use of Static Methods

One of my programmers asked me whether or not it is OK to define helper
methods as 'static' - and I realized that I didn't know the answer.  So I
guess the question is, in a web application, can common code be factored out
to a helper class and marked as 'static'?  Are there any major problems with
doing this?  I should know the answer, but just can't put my thumb on it
right now.... 8)

TIA!

Jerry Jalenak
Team Lead, Web Publishing
LabOne, Inc.
10101 Renner Blvd.
Lenexa, KS  66219
(913) 577-1496

jerry.jalenak@labone.com

This transmission (and any information attached to it) may be confidential
and is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which it
is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient or the person
responsible for delivering the transmission to the intended recipient, be
advised that you have received this transmission in error and that any use,
dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this information is
strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please
immediately notify LabOne at the following email address:
securityincidentreporting@labone.com