struts-user mailing list archives

From "message message" <message...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: [OT] Servlets tied to J2EE in new spec
Date Mon, 28 Jul 2003 17:23:57 GMT

Here is a copy of an email which you should find more informative and clear.

On Tue, 1 Jul 2003, objectworlds wrote:

>Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2003 21:51:01 +0100
>From: objectworlds <objectworld6@netscape.net>
>Subject: Re: Struts - j2ee compliant
>
>To use struts framework does the server have to be J2EE compliant ?

To use Struts your container has to implement the Servlet 2.2
Specification (which is part of J2EE 1.2) or later.  If you're using JSP
pages, your container must also support JSP 1.1 (also part of J2EE 1.2) or
later.

Any J2EE 1.2 or later container will therefore support Struts.  However,
Struts itself does not require any J2EE capabilities other than Servlet or
JSP.

>if so  is that the case  for model 1 & model 2 ?

Model 1 and Model 2 have nothing to do with J2EE compliant or not.  They
describe architectural approaches to building web applications, and appy
no matter what technology you are using.

>Is tomcat always J2EE compliant ?

Tomcat implements the Servlet and JSP specs, but is not a complete J2EE
container.  The first digit of the Tomcat version number tells you which
versions:

* Tomcat 3.x -- Servlet 2.2 and JSP 1.1
* Tomcat 4.x -- Servlet 2.3 and JSP 1.2
* Tomcat 5.x -- Servlet 2.4 and JSP 2.0

As you can see from the above description, though, Tomcat can be used to
execute Struts based appications.

Craig