struts-user mailing list archives

From "Adam Levine" <adam_l_lev...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: Design Question - same action, many jsps/views
Date Mon, 28 Jul 2003 15:35:46 GMT
I used a design I called the "side trip action".  Basically any caller to
the action has placed, either in a form field or in the user session object,
a "from" and "dest" url.  the action does what it needs to do, redirects
errors back to "from", and then forwards on success to "dest".  I called
this the "Side trip" because I originally used it for a small bit of
"intelligence" -- you go to a page that requires you to be logged in..
you're sent to the login page.. and after a successful login, you're sent
back to where you started from.

From: "Brian McSweeney" <brian.mcsweeney@aurium.net>
Subject: RE: Design Question - same action, many jsps/views
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 16:26:52 +0100

Hi Hue,

That's definitely one way to go, but the disadvantage that
I see of using this way is that you presumably have to hard code into
the action, some way of identifying where the request came from. Perhaps

something like:

	String input = request.getRequestURI();

	if(input.equalsIgnorCase("inputpath1")
		return (mapping.findForward("page1"));

	else if(input.equalsIgnorCase("inputpath2");
		return (mapping.findForward("page2"));

	else if(input.equalsIgnorCase("inputpath3");
		return (mapping.findForward("page3"));

The previous new action mapping idea means you don't have to do
this I think, which might make it a better solution. What do you
think?

I'm not sure though, and thanks very much for the help.
Brian