struts-user mailing list archives

From "Mike Jasnowski" <mjasn...@bea.com>
Subject RE: Action Under a Tile?
Date Fri, 18 Jul 2003 18:07:41 GMT
We have a tile definition that does something similar, it includes a JSP
with an import of another JSP on it
The JSP the tile points to has this code on it

<c:import url="/url"/>

Additionally the url is parameterized via tiles controller, so the actual
tag usage looks like this:

<c:import url="${view.form}"/>

Which includes the contents there.

Not sure if this will solve your problem.

-----Original Message-----
From: Aaron Longwell [mailto:listservs@newmedialogic.com]
Sent: Friday, July 18, 2003 2:04 PM
To: Struts-User
Subject: Action Under a Tile?

I am intermediately experienced with Struts, but I hit a brick wall
today trying to solve the following problem:

I am about 90% finished with a web app for a client. In discussions
yesterday they decided to add an "at-a-glance" section to each page of
the web site. You can think of this as a news feed that will sit on the
left sidebar, it will have the same information on every page, but
generating the information will require some business logic, and thus an
Action.

I can easily add the layout for this into the tile that services the
pages on the site.... It will be a simple collection to iterate over, so
the JSP is simple as well.

The Complicated Part: adding a collection to the request scope for each
of my existing actions. There are 15 actions existing.

I dreamed that it would be possible to add a tiles definition that
included the result of an Action as opposed to a JSP (well, more
accurately, included a JSP after being sent through an action first).
Essentially, this means 2 actions are executed on each request.... the
request's action... and the action to populate the data sidebar.

I tried to do this, by using a tag like this:
<tiles:put name="at-a-glance" value="/common/at-a-glance.do"/>

I get the following error: Exception in /common/at-a-glance.do Cannot
forward after response has been committed

I am intermediately experienced with servlets, and I know that servlet
includes are somewhat possible... but I'm obviously not experienced
enough to solve this problem. Thanks for your help!