struts-user mailing list archives

From "douglas reames" <doug...@hotmail.com>
Subject Struts and inter-application messaging
Date Wed, 09 Jul 2003 15:06:11 GMT
Good morning,

BACKGROUND:
I have a struts application that needs to:

[a] Process a request within its own context.  Output:-  string to add
parameters to URI path:  SQL=SELECT no, product,   vendor_no FROM table
WHERE no=103,

[b] Append parameters string from [a] to URI - that forwards control for
future processing outside of Struts app.  Output:-
http://same-server:8080/cocoon/excel-reports?SQL=SELECT no, product,
vendor_no FROM table WHERE no=103, and  finally

[c] Forward request to external application to complete processing sequence.

PROBLEM:
[a] and [b] are no problem.

But when I attempt to Forward the result with a mapping.findForward(URI
string), I get an illegal argument  exception -
"java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Path
http://same-server:8080/cocoon/excel-reports?SQL=SELECT no, product,
vendor_no FROM table WHERE no=103 does not start with a "/" character".
This method, as I now understand it, restricts forwarding to
intra-application.

I get the same result when using org.apache.struts.actions.ForwardAction.

QUESTION:
What is the Struts way to handle forwarding a request to an external
application?

Best regards,
Douglas Reames
919 929 3465