struts-user mailing list archives

From Vic Cekvenich <vic_cekven...@baseBeans.com>
Subject Re: OT: JSR-168 is available for review
Date Thu, 24 Jul 2003 12:05:54 GMT

Laurent PETIT wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm quite new in the Java / J2EE sphere, and so I don't really know the
> typical behaviors I'm supposed to have in some circumstances ? ;-)

I personally am just a bit tired of listing all the things wrong with
Portlet or JSF. In general, people can just read the spec and form their
opinion, or if they do not have a software engineer on staff, hire a
consultant for recommendation and enjoy the benefits or conseqences.
EG keeps trying to push server-side UI stuff. Java Evrywhere is a
product strategy, not an architecture.
(Maybe you do not see issues with bound server UI or you do not see that
it is bound?)

What people are doing now as "best" practice, is a lot of
JavaScript/XML-RPC like (nice links on baseBeans.com cheat sheet).
(?To be Futre proof ... you have to hire me/someone for a recommendation)

> Is it quite normal to blame the JCP specs, even without giving any reason
> for that ?
> Or is there such a historical life of bad specs from the JCP, that no more
> spec from it deserves to be taken away without a glance ?

In general, my opinion is this:
Sun JCP:
EJB, JDO, Java Server Feces, Portlet, Swing

Open Source Java Community:
Eclipse, Struts, iBatis, Hibrenate, XUL, XML-RPC, Axis.

So if that makes anyone conclude something is good and other is bad, OK.

You can go check out the respective mail lists for more or trust your
paid engineer/consultant, not some vocal/emotional stranger on a mail list.

.V

Vic Cekvenich,
Struts Instructor,
1-800-917-JAVA

Advanced <a href ="baseBeans.com">Struts Training</a>, mentoring and
project recovery in North East.
Open Source <a href ="baseBeans.com">Portal Content Management</a>
basicPortal  software.