struts-user mailing list archives

From Nathan Rogers <nrog...@library.wisc.edu>
Subject Re: Action Design Question
Date Fri, 26 Sep 2003 16:00:00 GMT
I don't know if this was the 'right' thing to do, but I extended
DispatchAction, overrode the execute method to use the hardcoded value
rather than looking up a request parameter, and pass that along to
dispatchMethod.  My actions then inherit from this modified class.  You
can safely cut out the lines with ServletContext if you don't care about
logging invalid parameters.

Here's the source

/**
    Overrides the execute method of DispatchAction so that rather
    than use the parameter to determine which request parameter
    contains the action to execute, it uses the parameter property
    directly

    @param mapping ActionMapping
    @param form Form associated with action
    @param HttpServletRequest Current request object
    @param HttpServletResponse Current response stream
**/
public ActionForward execute(ActionMapping mapping,
                              ActionForm form,
			     HttpServletRequest request,
			     HttpServletResponse response)
   throws Exception
   {
     String parameter = mapping.getParameter();
     if (parameter == null) {
	String error = "Could not locate the requested forward";
	ServletContext context = getServlet().getServletContext();
	ServletContextWriter output = new ServletContextWriter(context);
	output.write(error);
	output.flush();

response.sendError(HttpServletResponse.SC_INTERNAL_SERVER_ERROR, error);
         return null;
     }

   return dispatchMethod(mapping, form, request, response, parameter);
   }

--
Nathan Rogers
Library Technology Group