struts-user mailing list archives

From "Chawla, Yogesh" <yogesh.cha...@hpsglobal.com>
Subject RE: Struts Design Issue - Search Functionality - Best Practices
Date Fri, 26 Sep 2003 14:13:52 GMT
Some more comments required from Struts Gurus !!!!!

I also needed to know if you would be sending a Collection/Vector of Form
Beans which are populated with the fields for display or you would be
sending one Form Bean which contains String[]/Vector of fields returned from
the DB.

This seems to be a good option mentioned below but I would also appreciate
more feedbacks from other Struts Users ....

Thanks.

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul McCulloch [mailto:paul.mcculloch@axiossystems.com]
Sent: Friday, September 26, 2003 3:30 PM
To: 'Struts Users Mailing List'
Subject: RE: Struts Design Issue - Search Functionality - Best Practices

My aproach is as follows:

Each form bean property which can be searched is a descendant of
SearchableProperty. A SearchableProperty consists of:

*A String value representing the user's input
*The selected business entity (if the user has selected one)
*An object descended from Lookup, which implements the associated search
functionality

I have a base form & dispatch action.

The base action contains methods which are called to show the search screen;
do a search ;use a searched value etc.

The base form contains hidden fields, populated via javascript, which tell
the dispatch action which property the search function is being invoked for,
and other 'paramaters' such as the id of a selected record.

The view of my application uses the struts nested tags, and JSP includes to
provide reuseable components to render a SearchableProperty and it's
associated search view. The search view is part of the same page - the app
only ever uses one browser window, with no frames.

The upside of this approach is that I can place, with little effort,
sophisticated searching functions anywhere is the app. Due to the inclusion
of the user selected business entity behind the scenes, my view can display
any properties of the selected entity, without a change to the form bean.

The downside of this is that the form bean must be stored in session scope.
I have done a bit of load testing and it didn't seem to be a problem, but I
didn't have much to compare with - this is my first Struts app.

So, that's the approach I use. I've no idea how that compares to the best
practices out there, nut I'm eager to find out!

Paul