struts-user mailing list archives

From "Adam Levine" <adam_l_lev...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: [OT] Subject line filter tag
Date Tue, 16 Sep 2003 18:55:08 GMT
Generally, yes, redundant and unecessary.  With lovely services like
hotmail, however, you don't get much say in the way of header information
being displayed before you actually open the email.. which makes mass
deletions, folder filtering, and blocking email beacons a big PITA. (hotmail
has a long way to go, imo, on its message filtering capabilities..yay for
the image blocking).. and, yes, i use hotmail addresses for maiiing lists to
keep my "normal" emails from being spammed.  so, i get what i pay for.

thanks for the response, tho.

From: "Craig R. McClanahan" <craigmcc@apache.org>
Subject: Re: [OT] Subject line filter tag
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 09:46:04 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003, Adam L wrote:

 > Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 08:13:16 -0500
 > From: Adam L <adam_l_levine@hotmail.com>
 > Subject: [OT] Subject line filter tag
 >
 > To the powers that be:
 >     Is there a particular reason there's no list name header in the
 > subject lines, ie [struts-users], for easy filtering from all the other
 > spam and junk mail?

Because it would be redundant and unnecessary.

 >  I realize "[struts-users]" is a rather lengthy
 > segment in the subject line, so perhaps it could be abbreviated..
 > [ASFSU]...[A-SU]... or, [MARK-FU]. (=

This is about the 100th time this suggestion has come up, and it's going
to get vetoed (by me, among others) again.  Filter on the "to" and/or "cc"
address (Mozilla and Netscape let you do this with a single filter
rule) and you get exactly what you want.

 > cheers!

Craig McClanahan