struts-user mailing list archives

From Janice <janic...@shaw.ca>
Subject validation occuring before form is loaded, why?
Date Tue, 18 Nov 2003 01:04:21 GMT
Hi Gang,

I was having problems getting validation to work at all.  I've read every post on getting
it to work, followed all step-by-steps, and nothing would ever do it.  Today I yanked all
the .jar files out of my lib directory and updated it with the .jar files from the latest
release version of struts (1.1).  Well... something started to happen all right, just not
what I expected.

What it looks like its doing is validating my form before its even loaded (execute() does
not get called, and my print statements in validate() show that super.validate() is returning
errors.)

What my code is trying to do is:
1) a list of widgets are displayed.  Each widget has a link to an edit page.  There is also
an add widget option.  Both the edit and the add call the same action with a request parameter
like addEdit=add or addEdit=edit.

Currently, when either of these links are clicked, I get a 'page cannot be displayed' and
my log tells me that there was a validation error.  I don't know why validate() is being called
in the first place, I have no explicit calls to it, and didn't expect it to get run until
the next form was submitted and my struts-config.xml said validate=true.

2) the next step should be that the action builds the form object with either the reset()
values for an add, or a database-retrieved set of values for an edit.  Ideally, when this
form is submitted, the form should be validated.  If I change my validate() method on my form
object to return a new ActionErrors(), then things work better, but still don't validate.

I hope this is enough information.  I can post a bunch of code if its not.  I really appreciate
any and all help, this validation stuff is taking soooo long to get working!

Thanks in advance,
Janice