struts-user mailing list archives

From fredatw...@free.fr
Subject Reducing JSP Testing Time
Date Sun, 28 Dec 2003 20:39:57 GMT
Hello,

I’ve been using Struts for a little one now. My views consist of traditional
JSP code.

Note: My question is about the web page development cycle and relates to JSP
rather than Struts itself. Since lots of you guys are coding JSP, I’m still
wanna raise the issue described below in this mailing list.

I’m using Eclipse for coding JSP’s (I mean here HTML pages that include JSP
tags, no tag libraries). In order to test the visual aspects of my JSP’s, I
then build a war archive and deploy it to my web container. Nothing original
here.

Since HTML pages that include JSP tags are VERY long to open through the
browser on the first request (because of initial JSP compilation I guess), the
testing time is rather long. And I really get fed up with this now.

Therefore I’m wondering f there is a ** magic ** tool that would allow me to
code a web page that includes JSP tags in a VISUAL environment (like MS
FrontPage does for HTML for instance). The idea here would be to be able to
include JSP tags in a VISUAL manner (such as a <html:text> for instance) in
order to actually seeA CODING TIME the result on the screen BEFORE actual
deployment in the container.

Does such a tool exist ?

Do you have any recommendation for reducing this testing time for Web pages
that include JSP tags ?

Fred