struts-user mailing list archives

From Jason Lea <ja...@kumachan.net.nz>
Subject Re: Strategy for out of date items through forms using hibernate?
Date Wed, 17 Dec 2003 20:41:10 GMT
I have done this.  Hibernate supports versioning (using a version number
column), if you use this Hibernate can make sure the changes are not
overwritten.

The basic process is:
1. Hibernate session A loads object A1 (with identifier 1234)
2. Hibernate session B loads object B1 (also with identifier 1234)
3. Session A modifies object A1 and saves it
4. B modifies object B1 and attempts to save it
5. Hibernate will detect the version number for the object has changed
and generate an exception (StaleObjectStateException)
6. Catch this exception, close the hibernate session, return an error
message to the user using ActionErrors etc

I also have a refresh button so that at any time the user can press
refresh which reloads the object from hibernate so it is up to date.
When I return my stale object error I also allow the user to either
refresh (loses the users changes), cancel (do nothing, return to parent
menu), or overwrite.  Overwrite can attempt to overwrite the changes by
reloading the new object, but use the posted field changes to update and
then save the object.

You should check out versioning on the hibernate web site for more info
on that.

David Erickson wrote:

>Hi I am using Struts with Hibernate in a webapplication.. we are using forms
>etc. The problem I am currently trying to decide how to handle is thus:
>
>Assume user 1 loads up an object in a form and is modifying it.
>Assume user 2 loads up the same object in a form and is also modifying it.
>User 1 submits the modified object.
>User 2 also submits the object, however his is out of date and I would like
>the webapp to tell him that and show the differences that exist.
>
>What is the best way to use hibernate to deal with this? What I have
>attempted is using the built in timestamp feature in MySQL, I have a field
>in my object that is timestamp but does not insert or update, thus mysql
>controls its value. Then when the user submits the object I loaded another
>copy of that object from the DB and tried to compare their dates.. however
>this gave me an error saying:
>
>net.sf.hibernate.NonUniqueObjectException: a different object with the same
>identifier value was already associated with the session: 1, of class:
>cmcflex.salesweb.model.prospect.Prospect
>
>because of the object I loaded to compare.
>
>What do do? Is there a better strategy for tackling this? I tried using the
>actual <timestamp> in the properties for my object, but then when I tried to
>submit the object the generated sql said "when id=? AND timestamp=?" meaning
>it would not update if the timestamp is different, and I'm unsure if I could
>even determine if it did or did not update.
>
>Thanks in advance,
>David

Jason Lea