struts-user mailing list archives

From Brice Ruth <br...@fiskars.com>
Subject Re: [OT] Who owns Eclipse
Date Mon, 29 Dec 2003 14:57:39 GMT
Eclipse contributors, committers, etc. don't need to be IBM employees,
but they need to be active in the project and recognized by existing
contributors, committers, etc. Its structured similarly to the Mozilla
project, which revolved around a core group of Netscape (now former)
employees.

Most importantly, the Eclipse plug-in framework is absolutely available
for anyone or anygroup to take and do with as they please. The plug-in
architecture itself is almost entirely a community effort. Obviously,
the 500 odd plugins that make up WSAD are developed by IBM, but there
are a great number of various plugins out there for Eclipse, free and
commercial.

As for "if IBM goes bankrupt" ... keep holding your breath, friend :)
Having a corporate sponsor for an Open Source project is a *good* thing
... purely open, free, and informal open source projects are great, but
have a difficult time with systems as complex as an IDE, a browser, a
database, etc. Even Apache has a formal group that guides what direction
development takes, to some degree, and provides organization and
structure (in this case, a non-profit, I think).

Brice

Frans Thamura, Intercitra wrote:

> I think Eclipse is own by commynity, but with IBM money, they put all
> the contributor, commiter, and the decision for next version by their
> empolyee.
>
> This is not a product from home ground dude. :)
>
> So, in my head, Eclipse is still IBM. like it or not. Event if IBM go
> bancrupt, Eclipse still there. but when?
>
> What do you think?
>
> Brice Ruth wrote:
>
>> Eclipse is an Open Source Project, bottom line. WSAD is built on the
>> Eclipse framework ... you see, Eclipse isn't just an IDE, that's just
>> one particular incarnation of Eclipse plugins. Eclipse is simply an
>> extensible plugin framework that can be used for any type of
>> application, by anyone out there ... WSAD is such an application. The
>> fact that it resembles many of the IDE functions that Eclipse has, is
>> purely coincidental, at this point :)
>>
>> Ramadoss Chinnakuzhandai wrote:
>>
>>> meaning eclipse own by===>OTI===>own by IBM======> Eclipse own by IBM?

Brice D. Ruth